Friday, February 13, 2009

It's All In Your Head

My week started off on an interesting note. This happened Monday night, and here's another article on it.


I was on a food run on Ventura Blvd. around 8 PM, and on my way back I saw two cop cars and a helicopter with its searchlight on. I said, "Oh snap! They're looking for someone." Two hours passed and I started talking to one of the front desk girls about what I saw, and mentioned that it was very odd. Thirty/forty minutes later I was sent on a run to Burbank. While driving west on the 134, I saw white dots in the sky from a distance. I thought they were helicopters, but thought it was very strange since there where about five lined up in a row. 

I turned onto the small residential street to get to the back alley where the parking lot is located. There were a number of people walking and cars pulling in, and I'm wondering what the heck is going on, but at the same time I'm worried about getting the food back on time. I get back into the studio and see four other staff members staring at the TV. There's a car chase going on. Well, there was a car chase going on, and now the guy has stopped.

Why was this so interesting? Because the stand still was right down the street from the studio.
 

So it all makes sense... that's why there were five helicopters circling around near the studio and why there are people running in the otherwise empty parking lot. The guy was in his Bentley stopped right next to that car dealership you see on the right. The marker indicates where the studio is. If that guy was in a Ford Escape or something like that, people wouldn't have made such a big deal about it. 

It didn't occur to me that on my way back from the first food run around 8 PM is when the chase started, so I saw the beginning of it. I didn't get to go outside to see all the madness, but whatever. The guy ended up shooting himself in the head. It's a bit ironic that on my way back from the second run, I passed by the hospital he was later taken to.

This all brings me to question why someone would do this. Apparently he was about to be arrested, and he was distressed about losing his business. Why would he want to end his life and make a spectacle out of it? How did he get to the point where he thought everything was unfixable, so therefore wanting to end it all? When did he lose all hope in everything?



I'm very intrigued by how people think. When referring to goals we want to achieve, things we want to do, and places we want to see, we often say 'some day I'll do it'. Obviously there are some factors that play into this like time and money, but if those two things are not a factor, what stops us from doing that thing NOW. What turns an idea into reality? When do we tell ourselves that we will stop thinking and start doing? 

I often spend time thinking about those questions. I'm guilty of doing that as well, but if we always say we'll do this or that 'someday', we'll keep putting it off until 'someday' it's too late to do it. Then what happens? We regret the fact that we never did it. There are a ton of things in the world I'd like to do. One of my biggest fears is that I won't get to do them all. Well, that's really only something time will tell.



0 comments:

Post a Comment