Thursday, February 12, 2009

Yes, I Still Buy CDs.



That is a picture of my CD collection since August 2008, when I moved back home. That would be 33 CDs. The rest of my collection is in boxes, so when I eventually get more, they will go in there as well. Yes, I've been back 6.5 months and I'm STILL living out of boxes. I refuse to settle.

Now, if you asked me what type of music I listen to, I'd be lying if I said, "I listen to everything". What do I listen to? Mainly different forms of rock, but I like pop, R&B, country, and classical. Growing up, I first listened to a lot of R&B and pop. I always liked rock, but let's just say I grew up in the teeny bopper boy band era. 

However, I am NOT the type of person who will disregard a song because I don't like the artist or the genre. Just because I don't usually listen to hip hop or rap doesn't mean I won't like a song under that category. If it sounds good, it sounds good!

I thought I'd share my takes on some of the most recent albums I've purchased. There are multiple CDs from some artists.

 
MOGWAI- EP + 6
I received four Mogwai CDs for Christmas since they were on my list. This EP made me grow even more fond of them. To me, they have a distinct style. They don't have a lot of vocals, but when they do, it's very scattered and seems to go with the flow. 

Best songs on the CD:
1. Superheroes Of BMX (favorite)
2. Xmas Steps (love the bass build up somewhere after the 3 minute mark)
3. Small Children In The Background
4. Stanley Kubrick


MOGWAI- Rock Action
This is also a good album. There are two songs that really stick out to me: Take Me Somewhere Nice and Dial:Revenge.


SNOW PATROL- A Hundred Million Stars
I love this album. I hadn't really looked into Snow Patrol until this album. Boy, was I happy I did. From beginning to end, it's a strong album. It ends with a 16+ minute song, 'The Lightning Strike', which is like 3 songs in 1. It's a nice way to end the album. 'If There's A Rocket Tie Me To It' and 'Crack The Shutters' are a good way to start the album off. 

Best songs:
1. If There's A Rocket Tie Me To It
2. Crack The Shutters
3. Lifeboats (love the 'funkiness' of the song'
4. The Golden Floor (gotta love the clapping)
5. Set Down Your Glass (Favorite song on the album. This song is beautiful, and it puts me at ease)
6. The Lightning Strike


SNOW PATROL- Eyes Open
I got this CD after I got 'A Hundred Million Stars' even though it was released before it. The album is very much like their newest one in terms of album structure. A strong beginning and end, anchored by some good songs in the middle. I know 'Chasing Cars' was very popular when it came out, but I didn't listen to it much, and that's probably why I really like it now.

Best Songs:
1. You're All I Have (good opener)
2. Hands Open
3. Chasing Cars
4. Shut Your Eyes
5. You Could Be Happy (great lyrics, simple, elegant sound)
6. Headlights On Dark Roads (I absolutely love the intro)
7. Open Your Eyes


KILLSWITCH ENGAGE- As Daylight Dies
Now, I'm not a huge metal person, but I like KSE. I can take screaming, but there's got to be singing as well, and they have both. They've got some really catchy choruses on this album. I haven't established a favorite song though.

Best Songs:
1. This Is Absolution
2. The Arms Of Sorrow
3. My Curse
4. Eye Of The Storm
5. Break The Silence
6. Desperate Times
7. Holy Diver


KILLSWITCH ENGAGE- The End Of Heartache
The title track is what got me interested in them. I didn't really even know it was metal when I first heard it. To tell you the truth, I haven't listened to it much yet. I just thought I'd share with you the fact that I got it!


ONCE Soundtrack
When I saw the movie, after I heard the second song, I knew I wanted the soundtrack. 'Falling Slowly' has to be one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. Glen Hansard and Markéta Irglová are like magic together musically! There is no doubt you can feel their emotion in their music. 

Best Songs:
1. Falling Slowly (favorite)
2. When Your Mind's Made Up
3. Lies
4. The Hill (Beautiful, kind of eerie, and a little heartbreaking all at the same time)
5. Leave
6. All The Way Down


THE FRAMES- Burn The Maps
The Once soundtrack inspired me to look into Glen Hansard's regular band. This is a good album. I feel that the song 'Happy' which opens the album up is not traditionally a song you'd have at the beginning, but I like this song. It's a very eerie sounding song. Another eerie sounding song is 'A Caution To The Birds'. I haven't established a favorite on this album either. All the songs are pretty good.

Best songs:
1. Happy
2. Finally (I really like the chorus)
3. Trying
4. Fake (unlike the other songs, but it's a good one)
5. Suffer In Silence
6. Locusts (I really like the chorus in this song too)


THE FRAY- The Fray
I don't like listening to singles because I think they'll wear me out. I am very much so still an album person. I'll listen to the album all the way through even though I don't like some songs as much. I might discover something new about that song that I didn't know before. I mention that because I only heard 'You Found Me' a max of three times before the CD came out, and I still like it.

Best songs:
1. Syndicate (my favorite. Everything about this song catches my attention)
2. Absolute (Catchy chorus, which the Fray seems to be very good at)
3. You Found Me
4. Never Say Never
5. Enough For Now (I like the verses better than the choruses)
6. Happiness (great lyrics)


CAROLINA LIAR- Coming To Terms
This is a very good debut album. 'I'm Not Over' and 'Coming To Terms' are two good songs to start off the CD. It has some good songs in the middle, and has a strong end too. 'Show Me What I'm Looking For' was the song that caught my attention on the radio.

Best songs:
1. Coming To Terms
2. Show Me What I'm Looking For
3. California Bound
4. Done Stealin'
5. Beautiful World (Hands down my favorite. It's a very beautifully written song, no pun intended)
6. When You Are Near

0 comments:

Post a Comment