Friday, February 13, 2009

Who I Am, Who I'm Not, and Who I Want To Be

The title is a line taken from a song by The Fray, in case it sounded familiar to you. I thought it was very fitting for what I am going to talk about. 


INTERNING

Sometimes I don't know what to make out of the fact that I'm at my fourth internship. I stopped two, which turned out to be permanently, to take a great opportunity. The other one was because I had already done three months, and that was that. I don't regret any of the decisions I've made. I'm still big on trying not to regret decisions I've made in the past because they cannot be changed and have led me to where I am now. I'm actually doing a good job at sticking to that mindset. Yes, things could've turned out differently. Yes, I could have made better decisions perhaps, but what can you do? 

This was my third week at the new internship, and it was definitely not a charm. I made my mistakes, and I'm still thinking about them. I'm hoping the weekend will help put them in the rear view mirror as I don't intend on repeating any of these mistakes again. There is still a slight learning curve, but I've pretty much got the system down. 

I have friends who have jobs at studios back in the Bay, who are actually doing audio stuff (and good for them). Maybe if I stayed up there I would be in the same position. I will never know, but that's okay. Like I said, I don't regret my decisions. I'm set on trying to make it here in LA. When I make it, I know it'll be good. Better than if I had decided to stay up there. Bold statements, I know.

I'm about to make another bold statement in just a little bit. It bothers me when I see people who have 'made it' forget where they've came from. If you make it big (and even if you don't, but especially if you do) DON'T FORGET WHERE YOU CAME FROM. Don't forget about what you had to do to get you to that position. 

If you become a hot shot engineer, don't forget the fact that you were cleaning up after people, picking up their food, cleaning the toilet, scrubbing the floors, etc. If you become an actor, don't forget about all the auditions and rehearsing you had to do before you got that big role. If you become a popular artist, don't forget about all the art classes and all the crap drawing you drew before. Here is my bold statement (bold for me because I don't like assuming I will do something cause you really never know): If I ever get to the point where I make a name for myself, I will not look down upon those who are trying to make it just like I am now. I won't forget where I came from.

   

0 comments:

Post a Comment